"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a songbird will come."
-Chinese proverb

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Efficiency Motivation

            I discovered that I have changed my driving habits.  I have reduced my overall speed, I don’t zip in between stoplights, and I don’t pound on the gas pedal when I accelerate.  I’m trying to maximize my fuel efficiency.  I want that little Hyundai of mine to get every last mile possible out of each gallon of gas.  Currently, I’m averaging 33 miles per gallon.  Not bad, right?  I’m fairly certain I can’t improve it anymore.
            While I’m proud of my fuel efficiency consciousness, I’m a little ashamed of my motivation.  As an Environmental Studies major, one would think I’m doing this strictly to benefit the environment and reduce pollution.  Granted, I did buy my car with this in mind.  It is even rated on the lower end of smog emitting vehicles index.  However, the environment isn’t the sole motivator this time.  Gas is expensive.  I can’t afford to go off to the races every time I get behind the wheel.  My pocketbook can’t handle the expense of speeding by the SUV in the other lane.  Gosh, I’m motivated by money.
            My shameful moment must be noted though.  I’m fairly certain that my motivations align with the majority of Americans.  We don’t change our lifestyles and habits until the consequences of said lifestyles directly affect our lives.  We are so accustomed to hidden consequences; they’re out of sight and out of mind.  The true cost of our consumer lifestyles are often hidden as well.  We pull up to the gas pump and habitually fill our gas tanks without a second thought.  Gas is cheap and therefore not a concern.  Never mind the emissions that contribute to global warming, the smog that chokes local environments, and the oil spill that devastated the Gulf of Mexico only a year ago.  Gas is cheap.  Why worry?
            Education is often seen as the solution to pollution.  Educate the public about the consequences of our actions and we will choose to alter our lifestyles to prevent further pollution.  Sadly, I am a prime example of how this strategy does not always work.  I am an educated individual who is aware of the causes of pollution yet it still took an economic motivator for me to truly change my lifestyle.  While I would love for environmental education to be the panacea to our pollution problem, I doubt its full effectiveness.  There must be more.  Either all of America must directly and immediately suffer from the harms of pollution or all of America must pay the full cost of pollution causing goods and practices.   The second option is much more preferable.  I simply do not see how we can proceed without utilizing some sort of economic incentive or disincentive.  Economics always seems to play a role.

No comments:

Post a Comment